On here’s to health , I’ll be talking about OVARIAN CYSTS: SYMPTOMS AND CAUSES. Some might feel this write-up is disgusting but we all have mother’s, sisters, nephews, aunts and loved ones that are girls. You can kindly direct them to the blog to read about this and get themselves checked.
Baby girls are usually born with two ovaries that already contain all the eggs that a woman would ever have in the course of lifetime. These two ovaries release their eggs to turn,one at a time,on a monthly basis. An ovary is located on each side of the uterus (womb). An egg grows inside the ovary until it is mature and ready to be released into the fallopian tube for possible fertilisation and eventual implantation in the womb, resulting in pregnancy. The egg is enclosed in a sac called a follicle. However, if a follicle fails to rupture and release the egg, the fluid remains and can form a cyst in the ovary.
Ovarian cysts are, therefore, small fluid-filled sacs that develop in a woman’s ovaries. Most cysts are harmless, but some may bleed, rupture, or cause significant pain and discomfort. Ovarian cysts resemble bubbles. This can be clearly seen on an ultrasound image. The cyst contains only fluid and is surrounded by a very thin wall. This kind of cyst is also called a functional cyst. This means some cyst occur normally and are not part of a disease process.
Ovarian cysts affect women of all ages. They occur most often during a woman’s childbearing years.
Don’t fear because most ovarian cysts are benign (I.e non-cancerous) and many disappear on their own in a matter of weeks without treatment ,but still it’s better than safe than sorry😊.
Now here’s to the SYMPTOMS OF OVARIAN CYSTS:
Smaller ovarian cysts do not usually produce symptoms. However large cysts do.
- Irregular menstrual periods.
- Long term pelvic pain during menstrual period that maybe also be felt in the in the lower back.
- Vaginal pain or spotty bleeding from the vagina.
- Pelvic pain after strenuous exercise
- Lower abdominal pain which may start and stop and the pain might be severe, sharp and sudden.
- Nausea or vomiting
CAUSES OF OVARIAN CYSTS
Many conventional medical experts believe that any or a combination of the following risk factors can predispose a woman to developing ovarian cysts.
- Early menarche I.e first menstruation at the age of 11 years or younger
- Irregular menstrual cycles
- Infertility treatment with gonadotropin medications I.e infertility drugs
- Increased upper body fat distribution
- Hypothyroidism(low thyroid function)
- Tamoxifen therapy(often prescribed for breast cancer patients)
- Cigarette smoking also increases the risk of ovarian cysts.
It has been however established time and again that dietary and lifestyle changes can significantly improve a woman’s health, including the prevention and reversal of ovarian cysts. In the next issue I’ll dwell on resolving ovarian cysts, the medical and lifestyle remedies. I’ll also talk about healthy tips and recipes in the aspect of food and eating. I’ll also talk about the common illness in men and boys and the likes. Make sure you check out the next write up of “HERE’S TO HEALTH”. Thanks😊😇😄💗